The 2023 Nonfiction Reader Challenge Completed

This year I read fewer books than usual, for some reason. Maybe it’s because I did a lot more travelling and I don’t bring books – I prefer to focus on where I am and, of course, books are heavy. I need reading material only in the airport, so I bring a book or magazine that I plan to leave behind for others.

In any case, I managed to complete this year’s Nonfiction Reader Challenge, but not as a “Nonfiction Nosher” (reading and reviewing 12 books, one for each category). I read only eight nonfiction books, with one in each of seven of the challenge categories. So that makes me a “Nonfiction Nibbler,” reading and reviewing 6 books, from any 6 listed categories.


My choices:

  1. Science: The Neanderthals Rediscovered: How a Scientific Revolution is Rewriting Their Story
  2. Sport: How the Hell Did I Get Here?
  3. Biography: Maria Theresa of Austria: Full-blooded politician, Devoted wife and Mother-to-all
  4. Published in 2023: Ashes & Stones: A Scottish Journey in Search of Witches & Witness
  5. Travel: Porcelain Moon and Pomegranates: A Woman’s Trek Through Turkey
  6. History: Minoan Crete: From myth to history
  7. Health: Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art

(The 8th book was The Sceptical Gardener: The thinking person’s guide to good gardening)

I enjoyed most of the books, and found something interesting in all of them (except the last one).

Now I’m looking forward to the new year and the variety of nonfiction books awaiting me.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your accomplishment! I hope you’ll join us again in 2024

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shelleyrae! I've already signed up for the 2024 Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! Good to see you read 'Breath' one of my pics too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment