The Sceptical Gardener: The thinking person's guide to good gardening


Ken Thompson writes a gardening column for the UK newspaper The Telegraph and was also a lecturer in the Dept. of Animal and Plant Sciences at the University of Sheffield. This book (2015) is described as a collection of articles from The Telegraph. I have never read his column because I don’t have a subscription to this newspaper, but I came across this book in a British bookstore and the subtitle attracted me: The thinking person’s guide to good gardening. I’ve had a garden for only a few years and I can always use good advice.

The reason he is “sceptical” is that he analyzes the science behind the claims made for plants and gardening to find out if the claims are credible. He explains what is supported by studies and what is nonsense. And it seems a lot of information I’ve read and heard is nonsense. For example, he takes a dim view of permaculture and planting by the moon.

But, he gives practical information about wildlife in the garden, soil types, plants, wildflowers, vegetables … just about all aspects of gardening. However, it’s important to keep in mind that his focus is solely on British gardens, weather, wildlife and plants.

The book is divided into eight different subject areas of gardening: Garden wildlife; Native and alien plants – and animals; Not worth doing; Names of plants – and people; Growing food; Interesting things about plants; Practical gardening; and On being a gardener.

I enjoyed the author’s insights and the conversational tone of his writing, and I learned a lot that I find useful in my garden. But I imagine the book wouldn’t be so interesting for those who don’t have a garden.

Comments