2023 Nonfiction Reader Challenge


For the third year in a row, I am taking on the Nonfiction Reader Challenge inspired by the blog book'd out. And also for the third year in a row, I plan to become a "Nonfiction Nosher," reading and reviewing 12 books, one for each category presented. The Challenge is also for a "Nonfiction Nipper," reading 3 books from any 3 of the categories, a "Nonfiction Nibbler," reading 6 books from any 6 categories, and a "Nonfiction Grazer," reading and reviewing any nonfiction books (set your own goal). See the Challenge information at:

https://bookdout.wordpress.com/2023-nonfiction-reader-challenge/

Reading non-fiction is not a challenge for me, however, and on this blog I review each of the nonfiction books I read. But I like the challenge of finding books in categories that I don’t normally choose. This year I might find it challenging to enjoy reading books in the categories of sport and social media (and published in 2023?), but maybe those choices will turn out to be pleasant surprises.

The categories are:

  1. History
  2. Memoir/Biography
  3. Crime & Punishment
  4. Science
  5. Health
  6. Travel
  7. Food
  8. Social Media
  9. Sport
  10. Relationships
  11. The Arts
  12. Published in 2023

In a book review that Geoff Dyer wrote in The New York Times (his review of “What I Talk About When I Talk About Running,” by Haruki Murakami), he wrote:

The supreme test of nonfiction is that it be interesting irrespective of the reader’s indifference to the subject under discussion, and a great writer’s work is obviously beflecked with greatness whatever the occasion.

So I hope my choices are not only interesting, but also beflecked by greatness!

Comments

  1. Given your list from 2022, I'm looking forward to what you discover to fill these categories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the term "beflecked by greatness"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sport is going to be a challenge for me too! Thanks for joining me again in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment